Selling Items on eBay...Is it Still Viable?

I have heard less and less about people selling items on eBay and making a fortune. I want to see if this is still a viable way to turn a profit. So...here is the plan:

This Saturday a small neighboring town is having a CITY WIDE GARAGE SALE. I am going to pack up and go to see what items I can find but I need to set some Ground Rules:

RULES:

1. Can only spend $100

2. Everything purchased must be listed for sale online on eBay

3. Must log how much everything cost

4. Must log how much in fees I pay for listing on eBay

5. Must log how much in fees I pay for using PayPal

6. How Much I charged for shipping for each item

7. How much shipping actually was for each item

8. How long did everything take, from listing to shopping etc...


Things I will need:

1. Paper/Tissure for wrapping delicate items

2. Paper and Pen to record how much I paid for items

3. iPhone so I can quickly see how much items are going for while on location to see if I should buy it (using the eBay app)

4. $100 in small bills

5. Box/Reusable bag to keep everything in


When everything is sold...I must list all numbers for everyone to see if this was profitable or not.

Since I actually agreed to take my grandmother, I am not going to count gas or food, this little experiment is a BONUS !


Check back Sunday for a short listing of what I found and a link to the eBay auctions.

Thanks and wish me luck!

 

1 comments:

  1. CricketSoda said,

    From my experience your profit margin is eaten up by the fees which are hard to manage without a lot of research. How do you plan for items not selling and relist fees?

    on May 7, 2011 at 5:11 PM